A modern polygonal building of pleasing design, incorporating a number of features from the previous (1930) church.
The entrance is through a tripartite ‘Venetian’ doorway with a mosaic of the Virgin and Child in the central arch, brought from the old church. The oak entrance doors (also recycled from the old church) are set back, to create a recessed porch. These lead into a small narthex enclosed by screens incorporating old joinery, and then into the main space of the church. This is a single volume with a perimeter ring beam and ribs which sweep up to carry the roof and cupola. The ceiling is boarded, apart from the central bays, which have solid panels with raised top lighting on either side, on the entrance side incorporating new figurative stained glass with imagery from the Passion.
The fittings include a number of items from the old church. These include:
• The square stone neo-Byzantine font, placed in the sanctuary area
• The oak benches for the congregational seating (supplemented by some new ones in matching style)
• The crucifix hanging over the altar
• Stained glass window behind the altar (chalice and Host)
• Foundation stone from old church, in the priest’s confessional room
• Stations of the Cross, donated by parishioners in the 1930s
• The organ console (refitted by H. Groves & Sons)
• Statues of St Joseph, Our Lady of Lourdes, the Sacred Heart and St Theresa
• Tabernacle, brass candle sticks and sanctuary lamp (in area of reservation, to left of altar)